Crafting the Intention for Your Business - a brief bit about why you may need to figure this thing out


"An intention synchronistically organizes its own fulfillment."
— Deepak Chopra

When I created Olive Bites I never really sat down and took the time to think about my intention for this venture and how this intention (desire without attachment to the outcome) would guide my business decisions.

This is different than goal setting- it's not about earning X amount in X amount of time, numbers and percentages - it's more about your big picture thinking.

The WHY of your business - the inspiration for all of this in the first place.

I knew I wanted to create original work, work with certain materials and show that eco can be beautiful because mostly people do not connect the two things. And because this is my intention - I do these things.

But I didn't give alot of thought about how (and why) I intended for this business to grow and most importantly how I intended for this creative adventure called Olive Bites to fit into my life.

And because I set no big-picture intentions for these things, these are exactly the things that have grown in unintended directions.

As I move into wholesale I had started to question my own intentions with this growth -

- it's not like I have to grow in this particular direction (selling to stores) and hubby is not a big fan of anything that sounds like more work for me -

I did not want the growth to be out of fear and I knew that part of my push to do this now is the culture of copying the internet has fostered.

(more on this some other time, I never have the stomach to talk much about this, it is enough to say that it is totally heart breaking and expensive to have to deal with)

I know I cannot grow out of fear.

I need this growth to be from love; love of my creations, love of the process, love of the sharing with other people (this cannot be done on my own - something I always tend to want to do), love of the change this growth will be creating in my life (and other people's).

So I am taking the time to set some big old intentions for all of this and then releasing my attachment to the outcome (and I am determined to let my day to day decisions be guided by these intentions).

Setting your intention helps you make the right decisions ... for you.

If it is your intention to have your own business so that you can set your own hours, have time with your children, etc then you will make different decisions than someone whose intention for their business is to pay the rent or someone whose intention is to be the number one creator of thingamajigs in the universe.

There is no right way or wrong way, but I am thinking this 24/7 life would be a little bit easier for us if we let our big picture intentions guide our day to day decisions.

Note that often when we set our intentions things will happen to 'test' them.

When you set your intention to not work weekends, you will likely be offered up an opportunity that will require exactly this. It is like the universe is checking in with you to see if this is what you really want.

And when this happens, remember this is not something that is happening to you, it is something that is happening for you.

If you are living an expansive life you always get to decide, there are no wrong decisions here, just decisions that are better ... for you.

(amazing growth illustration - maidenhair fern #3 by gollybard above)

6 comments

Sherry said...

I'm doing this right along side you my friend. Almost without intention, I have been plowing a fertile field to see what grows. I'm hoping I can pick the weeds out and let the flowers grow. I hope that makes sense because I am truly at a crossroads, too.

xoSherry

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Well-said, and this seriously couldn't be more timely for me. I'm driven by some of that fear you mention and have been moving in a direction that I don't want. I appreciate the words of wisdom here.

TesoriTrovati said...

You are always filled with amazingly profound things to say, Cat.

I wonder if creative people always feel like they are at a crossroads, because other commenters have said what I was thinking too. Does that mean that I will never be anywhere but at a point of decision for my creative endeavors?

I love the idea of the intention behind what you are doing. I am not a goal oriented person. But intentions...aha...that is the key. You can't really make your goals happen without a definite intention behind them. I will have to give this more thought because I believe my intention is that I will be able to create fulltime (or at least have daylight hours to do so), and that I would be able to do it as a way to put in my fair share of the income. Not sure what that means, just yet, but it is a good start.

Thank you for your inspiration!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Brenda said...

Absolutely brilliant and YES. And right there with you, as I've been working out where/what my business will be (which is quite a bit different than what it started out as).

Looking forward to more on the subject and to seeing where you take your own business!

Lisa @MindfulBIZ said...

Yes, I agree it's so critical to figure out the WHY of your business because this is what will guide what direction you decide to take with your business.

I didn't do that with my first handmade business. There was a disconnect between my business model (primarily wholesale) and what my real intention behind starting the business (mostly a creative outlet and to be challenged) which I didn't recognize until after I was well into my business and had lots of inventory. It didn't work out so well.

Anyways, I was thrilled to stumble upon your post because you've hit on one of the 4 Keys I talk about in my free eBook for creative business people.

Brenda Salzano said...

Great thought provoking ideas. Maybe as artists, we are ever evolving, as time, circumstances mold our character our expression through our art will change also. For is it not, a product from with in us? Then if we are growing over time, will not what we create change to some degree or another? I believe it is with me. I try to fit the "molds" the articles and people online tell us to do to sell better, but in the end, I am just me. Whatever that is for this year, this month and this day. Next year, I may be doing something completely new!