back step (but not in a fancy "let's tango" kind of way)



OK I had a couple people email me about my post yesterday - they didn't like what I was saying and thought it was the opposite of the stuff I usually say.

Most likely I didn't say it very well. Let me try again - let me say it like this.

I am not saying we shouldn't do the thing that will make us happy. I am only saying we do not know for sure what that thing is.

What I am saying is we should do the thing we want to do.

I am saying the thing we want to do is the thing we should do. There is no thing we want to do and thing we should do that are different. I am saying these things are always the same thing.

The thing we should do is always the thing we want to do - this is how we live authentically.

There is no guarantee this thing will make us happy though ...

also my post on Create and Thrive on How to Get Unstuck is up today and HERE

Happy weekend all - please don't think SNOW ... think GREEN (as in grass and money and sustainable living) ....

(The example someone emailed me yesterday was that she would rather read a book on her Kindle than do her dishes so am I saying she should not do the dishes? My thinking with this is - if we want to read a book on our Kindle we should read a book on our Kindle - at some point the dirty dishes will begin to make us feel yucky and we will want to do them. So, that's when we do them.

If we don't want to get up and go to work in the morning, but we know that not going will make us feel worse than going - then going to work is the thing we should do and it's also the thing we want to do. We are just used to thinking of it as the thing we have to do, but it's really not any less the thing we want to do ... and thinking of it as the thing we want to do instead of the thing we have to do is what changes everything.)

4 comments

Artsnark said...

Now I a very curious to read yesterday's post.
On the light side, I listen to audio books while doing dishes,laundry & other souls sucking tasks & most audio programs will sync with the kindle so you know right where you left off

Catherine Ivins said...

I just bought myself a Kindle for my birthday a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it - and yes, I love how everything is saved for you right where you left it just like an open book or casette tape!

KJ said...

I want a better quality of life, i.e. a shorter commute, better grocery stores, my very own washer and dryer, a nicer space to live in... And yes it will make me happy. However, in order to get those things I will be moving away from where I am which I quite enjoy- I LOVE big cities, I really do like the diversity, I like when three young men dance on the subway and then pass the hat for contributions. One of my words for life is balance. So, I am going to enjoy this while I can and when I move to get the better quality of life I will be happy there as well.

DancingMooney said...

You got a kindle?! Yay!!! I love my kindle. ♥

The thing we should do is always the thing we want to do - this is how we live authentically.

just keep writing Cat. You make perfect sense to me. :)

xoxo.