New Moon in Sagittarius | what we do about what we believe

winter by Si3art
Today's New Moon is at 19 degrees Sagittarius. With the Sun and Moon both in Sagittarius we have lots of fire energy - the best kind for universal kick-starts.

(we may not have kickstarter funding but we can use magic!)

The days of the New Moon are dark and we are literally 'working blind'. This allows us to most easily feel our way into new situations and out of old ones. Our other senses are heightened now.

The challenge of working with our instincts during a fire Moon is that since instincts are pretty much habit, we could get caught up in the exuberance of the Moon and recreate the same situation we are leaving. Focus. Get clear. Remember that what is seeded at a New Moon will grow and with Sagittarius we are dealing with the 'big picture'.

The best use of this New Moon energy is to set intentions for Sagittarius ruled themes.

Sagittarius is a fun-loving sign that rules travel, freedom, adventure, legal stuff, higher education, good luck, faith, religion, prayer, optimism, problem solving, truth seekers, boldly going where no man has gone before, the quest  -

it also rules carelessness, taking shortcuts, thinking we are right, making assumptions, throwing pink paint on problems and hoping they will go away, overconfidence, impatience and superficial fluff.

Sagittarius is a mutable sign. The mutable signs prepare us for the change into the next season.

Mutable signs are service signs and Sagittarius is in service through the exploration of Truth - this could be legal truth or political truth but its most especially spiritual truth - its highest purpose is enlightenment and expanding what is known. The lower level energies rule religious wars, legal battles and political bullshit.

Sagittarius is a fire sign like Aries and Leo.

Fire signs like action - their reasons for taking action are different though. Aries energy wants to climb the mountain, first because it's there and second because there is a competition going to see who can get there first.

Leo energy wants to climb the mountain because they have heard there is a film crew waiting at the summit :)

Sagittarius energy wants to climb the mountain to see what the hell it feels like to climb a mountain and how it feels to reach the top. They want the adventure; they want the quest.

(they could be unprepared and throw their back out 100 yards from the summit, too, then they will turn their convalescence into a party for the sherpas and make THAT the adventure)

This is the energy any new intentions set now will step into. What part of our life can use a little adventure? That's the space to use this energy most effectively! The real gift of Sagittarius is the freedom to be who we really are - how are we going to use this gift?

As always, write your New Moon affirmations down - I sometimes use strips on paper and bowls of rice, so I could jiggle them around now and then - but again this month I am feeling the urge to burn them and just know they are done. You don't have to make stuff happen with this, you just have to see what comes up and then take the action that feels right on that.

Trust the process. We have cast our spell.

People always say that affirmations "only work if you take action". And this is true, but not in the way most people think because the affirmation is action.

It sets the energy in motion. Words are not just words. If done properly, in the right frame of mind, it lines us up energetically with the thing we are seeking. The new moon is a time of darkness but there is lots of hidden action in the dark.

(yes, even that kind, all creation starts in the dark after all)

Look at what kind of experiences have been coming your way lately. How have you called them into your life?

My car has been in and out of the shop for weeks. Yesterday I finally got it back. I was happy to find I had to pay nothing at the service center since the repair was totally related to a recalled part. I high fived the dealer, drove home, grabbed Olive and my bags of packages to ship out and backed up in my driveway. I do this turn around thing in the grass, since it's hard to pull out due to traffic. And I backed right into hub's truck. Damage to both vehicles in one swoop. Not little minor scraping damage either. And I knew the energies yesterday said "go slow, be cautious". Expect the unexpected. And I pulled this exact same move (different car, different truck) maybe 15 years ago, except then it was more minor. Now, he rarely parks in this spot (although more often than every 15 years), usually he pulls up next to me and moments before the accident Olive was about to run into the road and I had to yell at her and grab her and my heart was racing (she never does this). I need to think about this. If anyone has any 'backing into myself' thoughts let me know.

Also the entire time my car has been breaking down (pretty much since our trip to Maine), my entirely unearned good health has been stalling out, too (which metaphysically speaking makes total sense). On my last trip to acupuncture - the acupuncturist asked me how much water I drink, told me I seemed a little dehydrated. What she actually said was, "how much water do you drink? how often do you go to the loo?" - this had me screaming WATERLOO - in my own head, of course.

Anyhoo, back to New Moons. There is often a wave of resistance that arrives when we begin stepping into our power. This resistance can manifest as physical health problems, relationships that mirror our shadows, self-sabotaging "mistakes" or when it seems like “fate” intervenes and creates road blocks or sends us  back to “feeling and playing small” - back to square one.

This "upper limit" thing, set by familial programming and energy patterns that is so common when we are in the process of shifting our self-definitions and expanding our influence and responsibility. Something gets in the way, often something that appears to be outside our control - this is all illusion of course, but how do we work through this? How do we move outside our energy patterns?

One thing we can do right now and it sounds like a small thing but there are no small things - is to set a few affirmations (some astrologers recommend 10, 11 feels even more Sagittarian to me) within the energy of this New Moon - it will just take you a few minutes of concentrated effort. Do it tonight.

Today's Moon is in a T-Square with Jupiter (Sag's ruler in Virgo) and Chiron (in Pisces). Since Sagittarius energy is about freedom and the big picture - we might be feeling stuck in the details and the "work" now. Health matters have cropped up. Saturn, hanging out in Sag, too, for the next couple years is making sure nothing comes easy now. That's OK - we will value it more later this way. Uranus (in Aries) is in a positive aspect and can help us get unstuck and move into something new. 

xo all

2 comments

DanceJamboree said...

I am a Sagittarian and I really enjoyed reading this post. My life has changed dramatically since the birth of my first Grandson on October 10. I keep him every day from seven in the morning to six at night while my son and his wife work. He is a blessing and I wouldn't have it any other way but I can really tell that my age (60...on December 4) is catching up with me and I don't have the energy that I once had. Thank you for the insight and I look forward to reading more.

Catherine Ivins said...

Hi Cathy - If you have just turned 60, you just went through your 2nd Saturn return so probably whatever you were living through 28-30 years ago is back around in some way. If it was motherhood, it is interesting that you get a second go round to do things in a different way now - maybe just enjoy it more! The first Saturn return is when we kind of grow up (ticking clock) and at the second there is a similar kind of pressure but we feel our mortality (ticking clock) - it forces us to slow down and take a look at how we really want to spend our time. This time with your grandson sounds like a gift you have earned since your first return and you can probably appreciate it in ways you didn't the first time around .... I definitely would think it would be exhausting though, even with your Sag sun energy! xo